Monday, January 16, 2017

So Glad its Over

      Throughout my high school experience I have always been told that Senior Year was the easiest. The last time experiencing high school events and making memories; that is what Senior Year was supposed to be. No one bothered to mention the stress of college apps. I never thought it would be so difficult to talk about myself but trying to make myself sound like a top pick in no more than 350 words was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.
      College Applications are a whole 'nother level of stress. Just knowing that these applications and essays play a large factor to where you will spend the next four years of your life is truly frightening. The worst part is that not only are you trying to focus on these essays but at the same time you have to try to balance schoolwork. For the first time in my whole high school experience, first quarter was hard as I found myself trying to find the balance between extracurricular activities,college apps, and school work and this was quite difficult.
     I know everyone says this but the best advice I could give is DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. For UC Applications the essay prompts release in August and the best thing I would suggest you do is start as soon as they come out. Do not be the person who barely starts two weeks before the applications are due (this was me). You will hate your life when everyone else is done and submitted and you are barely on your second prompt. Another handy tip would be to build a relationship with your teachers. Teachers offer so much support through this process. Not only will they support you but by building a relationship, when time comes you will have a great source for a college recommendation letter because you will be receiving it from a person who truly knows you. You will have a genuine letter rather than a generic "they are a hard worker." My last and final tip would be to take advantage of the college and career center. I can honestly say that without Ms. Jessica I would not have been able to finish these applications. She supported me throughout the whole process by checking for errors not only on my application but on my essays and I am truly grateful for all her help.
     Honestly just write what you know. This is the perfect time to reflect and finally brag about the hard work you have put in. Although this can be a very long and tedious process, do not forget to enjoy! This is your last year so do not forget to make the best out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment