Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Beginning

Quarter 1 is always the toughest most hectic quarter for me. Coming back from Summer break can be difficult to get back into the swing of things. This year I wanted to get more involved with my school since it is my Senior year. I joined the program Link Crew and so far I’ve enjoyed it. I really do think Link Crew has had a part in helping better our De Anza community. For example, the number of fights this year has decreased dramatically. Besides that, it has helped me to improve my Leadership skills and to get to know a few of the freshmen this year.
This year is my 3rd and last year in Leadership. I wanted to make the most out of it so I got more involved in float and the homecoming dance. Since I am in ASB I don’t necessarily have to help out with my class’s float. I didn’t really help out a lot with my class’s float last year and I regret it because I felt like I missed out on a lot. I really enjoy helping out with float because with the amount of time we spend together everyone bonds and new friendships are formed. This year, compared to previous years, there wasn’t that many Seniors involved with float. It made it more difficult to finish on time because we needed all the help we could get. At the end we managed to finish on time and I was very happy with our finished float.
Since it was supposed to rain on homecoming day, we had to move our float parade and rally to next week. I’m glad we ended up doing that because having the parade, rally, football game, and dance all in one day would have been way too much. This year I decided to take charge of the homecoming dance alongside Diana Trujano. The dance turned out to be great and over 500 students came. It was the biggest dance at DA yet. Although we had a great turnout, there were a few things I would have changed if I were to do it again. For example, we should have ordered the decorations way more in advance. A lot of the decorations we ordered didn’t come in on time. So I had to drive back and forth to different stores to buy new decorations the same day of setting up. This gave us less time on setting up. Compared to last years homecoming, I like it better when we have it on a weekend. We get more time on setting up and we don’t feel so rushed. Also, the students who were helping with setting up wouldn’t have missed the homecoming game if it were on a weekend. At the end, everyone enjoyed the dance.

So far Leadership has been going well so far! This year we have already tried new ideas and have been improving our De Anza culture. I can’t wait to see what other great moments will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment